What is Reflexology?
Reflexology is a complementary therapy that aims to de-stress, detoxify and rebalance your body's energy levels.
Stress and illness affect us all. Whether it be emotional or physical this can have a huge effect on the function and state of our body and mind. When you are affected by stress or illness certain areas of the body may become congested. Reflexology encourages the body to correct itself.
The supply of blood around the body is also increased, which helps the cells to absorb more nutrients and oxygen. This creates more waste, which your body then naturally releases. Through detoxification, reflexology encourages the body to rebalance itself into a state of healthy wellbeing.
A little history:
Evidence of foot therapy dates back thousands of years to Ancient Egypt, where these inscriptions, showing feet being treated, were found in a physician’s tomb near Cairo:
In 1917 an Ear, Nose and Throat doctor called Dr Fitzgerald discovered Zone Therapy. He found that there are 10 zones running through the body from your feet to your hands, and that by applying pressure within these lines the cause of many complaints as well as the pain could be alleviated.
In the 1930s Eunice Ingham, an American Physiotherapist, discovered that within these zones particular organs, muscles and systems could be treated specifically. This is Reflexology as we know it today. Below is the foot map which reflexologists currently use. It shows where the reflex points can be found which have a therapeutic link to particular organs or areas of the body.
By applying pressure to the reflex points on the feet, a calming message is sent to the central nervous system through your nerve pathways. This signals to the body to re-adjust tension levels which then encourages detoxification and balance within the body.
Reflexology session explained:
- We will discuss what you want to gain from the session, whether it be relaxation or a particular health complaint
- You will be asked to complete a medical history - this can help me tailor the session to you and your needs
- Ask me any questions about the treatment
- You will be barefoot and lying on a treatment couch
- Massage techniques will be applied to the feet before, during and after the treatment to soothe and relax them
- Pressure will be applied to the reflex points using specific techniques using mainly the thumb and forefinger
- We will discuss the congested areas found during the treatment
- After-care advice will be given